Course Outline for Wise Woman Way of Birth Doula Training:
- Review of pre-reading
- Hospital Do’s and Don’ts
- Medical Terms to know
- Stages of a normal birth, how to recognize by external observation
- Designing a doula business for fun and profit
- Prenatal counseling
- Client history-taking
- Using art therapy and guided imagery to create an ideal birth plan
- Birth coaching, tricks of the trade for comfort and relaxation
- Medications and interventions (antibiotics, induction, augmentation, managed third stage)
- The amazing newborn: signs of wellness, recognizing when to call for medical help
- Breastfeeding counseling
- Assisting in special situations e.g. waterbirth, vaginal birth after cesarean, stillbirths, miscarriages
- Nutritional counseling: beyond the 4 food groups. Practical and helpful ways to individualize diet and lifestyle improvement for pregnant couples
What to bring: 3 ring binder, pen, watch with a second hand, gestation wheel, paperback medical dictionary (a binder and gestation wheel are supplied with your pre-reading package)
There is a pre-reading requirement. Please call (604) 700-4115 for further information and to register for the course.
Cost: $450. $100 deposit required to receive your pre-reading package, with the remainder due on the first day of classes.
There will be an exam at the end of the course and successful students will receive certification.
Space is limited. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your space.