Doula Support For a Gentle & Informed Birth
Childbirth support in Vancouver, BC
Whether you are a first-time parent, single mom or have given birth previously, birth doula support will contribute to making your birth a more comfortable and positive experience.
If you have a partner who will be taking an active role in supporting you during birth, birth doula support will benefit him/her as well, and the two of us will work together to ensure you are fully supported during your birthing. (Read an initially skeptical dad’s experience of my support)
What is included in doula services?
- Free initial interview
- 2 Prenatal Visits (1.5 to 2 hours long). Visits are very education focused, ensuring you feel informed about your options and confident in what to expect during birth. An excellent way to complement your prenatal classes if you are taking them.
- Assistance developing a clear birth plan and help advocating for that plan during birth
- Unlimited phone and email contact from the time of hire until one month postpartum
- Skilled use of comfort measures which can help you feel as calm and comfortable as possible during birth
- Birth plan advocacy throughout your birth
- Basic breastfeeding education and initiation
- 1 Postpartum Visit (1 hour long)
- Optional additional visit to be used either prenatally or postpartum, in case something changes or you require additional support
- Referrals to other reputable childbirth practitioners and services in Vancouver
- Bonus: free use of Aquaborn birth pool for home births ($200 Value)
- Discounts on partner services such as lactation consultations with an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
- FREE copy of my favourite educational birth DVD, Birth With Gloria Lemay
- invitation to our free, monthly, meet-the-back-up night to give you peace of mind about your birth team (although I will do everything possible to avoid missing your birth due to illness or a birth overlap, it feels nice to be prepared).
Add-on service options include postpartum doula support and placenta encapsulation
My Doula Resume:
- Emphasis on informed choice: I’ve become known as the “informed consent doula” in Vancouver, as I make educating you on your rights in childbirth and empowering you to take the leading role in your birth decisions a priority in my services
- Respect for your Parter’s Role in Birth: If you have a partner that will be supporting you during birth, he/she will also benefit from my support as a doula. I honour the role of the partner, and will help yours feel confident and effective in their role as your primary support person
- Massage techniques and acupressure: In addition to the typical doula skill-set, you will benefit from my added training in the use of massage and acupressure during childbirth
- Hypno-doula: I am trained and very experienced in supporting parents planning to use childbirth hypnosis tools
- History of trauma or previously challenging births: I have experience, training and a special interest in supporting clients who have a history of birth, sexual, or other trauma that may impact your birth experience. This includes women and couples who are planning a VBAC (vaginal birth after a previous cesarean birth)
- Knowing when to do nothing: the most important thing I have learned from all of my experience supporting births is how vital it can be to focus on supporting the birthing woman’s own process as opposed to unnecessarily “showing her how” to birth with all of the tricks I have up my sleeve. The skills and techniques mentioned about can be helpful and effective when used appropriately, but the best doula support comes from supporting you in your own, instinctive process.
Contact me to set up your free initial consultation / interview: 604-700-4115